Involuntary Terminations: Make Them As Painless & Smooth As Possible
Julie closed her office door and put her head down on her desk. “Let me rest – just for a minute,” she thought, “I need a break.” She’d just had to let an employee go after trying —unsuccessfully—to resolve his attendance issues, lackluster sales results, and consistently poor attitude. While she felt sure that, as his supervisor, she’d done everything she could to manage his performance, the situation just hadn’t improved, and it was time (probably even past time) to make this change. “Doesn’t make the termination meeting any easier though,” Julie thought. “These situations are never easy, regardless of the performance failures that brought us here.”
Julie knew that terminations were a necessary (and hopefully infrequent) part of her management responsibilities, but she always felt somewhat unprepared and unsure of herself when she had to let someone go. She questioned what to say, what documents she needed, what to do with the employee’s belongings, how to tell the rest of her staff—truly, the whole situation was so awkward! She wondered if there was a “termination cheat sheet” or some sort of resource to ensure she was doing the right things. Was this too much to ask?
Do you have similar questions about those sticky, awkward termination meetings? If you dread and doubt employee performance and termination issues, join us on May 14th to get termination tools you can use today.
In our next MODERN EMPLOYER Talent Management Training Workshop, “HR Essentials for Management, 1.0”, we’ll be discussing HR matters from hiring through terminations and everything in between. Our goal is to take the fear and uncertainty away from termination meetings and related employee performance matters, and help you build the HR foundation you’ll need to succeed in a management/leadership role.
Do you know your HR essentials?
If you are not exactly confident with your understanding of HR issues, help is on the way this April 25th in the form of our next MODERN EMPLOYER TRAINING WORKSHOP, “HR Essentials for Management 1.0″.
- Learn ADA, FMLA, FLSA…critical laws every manager should really know!
- Get the hires you need by mastering effective and essential interviewing techniques!
- Protect your company! Improve your documentation processes and skills!
- Handle difficult situations better! We’ve included counseling and termination scenarios!
- You’ll get A 3-hour small classroom interactive learning session to maximize your individual experience
- Tools to take with you: a DOs and DON’Ts of interviewing guide, a manager documentation form to guide you through performance conversations and a checklist for employment terminations
Read more about the workshop below: