The art of creating a branded job description
Ah, the humble job description. It’s not as flashy as the job ad, not as revered as the job offer, but in terms of its level of importance as a company document, it ranks very high. Or at least, it should.
If you understand the role of the job description in your company, then you know that it is an integral part of your hiring, promotion and retention efforts. It does more than just outline what a position entails, it explains to your employees what their roles and responsibilities are. A job description needs to be well crafted to spell out what is expected from that position and still give a positive sense of your company’s culture and brand. You will use these documents not only to figure out compensation packages, but also to help outline things such as expectations, career advancement opportunities and required training.
It isn’t easy crafting a job description that does all that. For one thing, it requires a clear understanding of the work that needs to be done and the type of skillsets best suited to fill the position at hand. For another, a good job description should give employees a sense of what lies ahead for them. And let’s not forget that, there are state and federal regulations to consider too.
A well written job description:
- Assists in the development of interview questions and screening criteria during the hiring process
- Clearly defines the given role at your company
- Communicates how an employee fits into his or her role and into the organization
- Defines what an employee’s contributions mean to your overall mission
- Becomes a useful tool in performance management, coaching, employee development and retention efforts on an ongoing basis
Job descriptions need work? Let us help you!
At myHR Partner, we have the expertise to create job descriptions to fit your organization’s needs, and we can help analyze, create or update existing job descriptions as well. We can handle a few jobs or large-scale projects in business, retail, non-profit, academia and more.